for the month of September, 2015
Müller double cream recalled over fears of Listeria contamination in 500 pots
Muller Wiseman Dairies warns customers not to eat 300ml pots as a precaution after traces of bacteria found in batch of 500 pots
Customers are being warned not to eat a batch of dairy cream over fears it contains bacteria linked to Listeria.
Müller Wiseman Dairies is recalling more than 500 pots of pasteurised double cream that has been distributed to retailers around Scotland and the North of England, and via home delivery.
The firm said the 300ml pots were being recalled as a precaution and that the levels of bacteria found were low, reports the Daily Record.
But it warned it is more harmful to pregnant women, unborn and newborn babies and the over 60s and customers should contact Müller Wiseman for advice on returning the product.
The Food Standards Agency has issued a Product Information Recall Notice for the product, which has a best before date of September 2.
The cream came from an East Kilbride-based dairy run by Muller.
A spokesman said: “This is an isolated incident and an extensive investigation by Müller Wiseman Dairies' Quality Team is under way to understand the cause and source.
"The batch was produced at a small dairy in East Kilbride which produces cream products."
Listeria, which can be found in dairy and meat products, causes fever, vomiting and diarrhea.
Firm fined after worker injures hand at saw mill
A company that manufactures garden timber products has been fined for safety failings that led to a worker sustaining serious injury to his left hand.
Dumfries Sheriff Court heard how, in March 2014, while working at Forest Sawmills Limited’s premises in Stevens Croft, Lockerbie, the agency worker’s left hand was pulled into a twin band re-saw machine for cutting wood after it made contact with either the powered in-feed roller or the saw blade, causing injuries to his index and middle finger.
Forest Sawmills Limited, of Hartlebury, Kiddermister was fined a total of £7,000, after pleading guilty to an offence under Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, Regulations 11(1) and (2).
For more information about unguarded machinery log onto the website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/index.htm
Deeside man fined over safety breaches
A contractor was today fined after admitting unsafe work at height practices and insurance breaches.
James Young trading as Watertight Home Improvements today pleaded guilty at Chester Magistrates’ Court after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
The court heard that on 19 November 2014, an HSE inspection of the re-roofing of a domestic property in Neston, Wirral found workers carrying out work at height without suitable and sufficient means to prevent the risk of a fall from height of both people and objects.
On arrival at the property the inspector found that the only protection available to prevent the risk of a fall from height were two poorly positioned mobile tower scaffolds that did not prevent the risk of serious injury from a fall from height.
Mr Young also pled guilty to a charge of failing to provide Employers Liability Insurance for those undertaking the work on his behalf.
James Young (trading as Watertight Home Improvements Ltd) of Hampton Avenue, Pentre, Deeside pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 6(3) & 10(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005, and Section 1(1) of the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969.
He was fined a total of £1500 (£500 for each breach) and ordered to pay £1020 in costs.
HM Inspector of Health and Safety Phil Redman said: “This case should be a lesson to roof working companies and others who fail to comply with their duties under health and safety legislation, it is unacceptable for companies to put the lives of their workforce at risk”
UK says rare burgers OK given a plan; still say cook thoroughly, no thermometer
And the UK Food Standards Agency calls itself a science-based outfit.
The FSA Board today agreed that the preparation and service of rare burgers in food outlets is unacceptable unless a validated and verified food safety management plan is in place.
But they don’t say what a validated and verified plan is, short of irradiation.
The FSA’s long-standing advice to consumers that they should cook burgers thoroughly to kill any bugs that may be present is unchanged.
Use a thermometer and stick it in.
The FSA Board had been asked to consider a range of controls businesses should make sure are in place if they are serving rare burgers. These include sourcing meat only from establishments which have specific controls in place to minimise the risk of contamination of meat intended to be eaten raw or lightly cooked and providing consumer advice on menus regarding the additional risk from burgers which aren’t thoroughly cooked.
- businesses wanting to serve burgers rare pre-notify their local authority;
- the Board is given reassurances on the controls that suppliers of mince intended for consumption rare or lightly cooked in burgers have in place;
- effective consumer advisory statements will be required on menus where rare burgers are served;
- the Board agreed the FSA should take a lead ensuring these statements are consistent; and,
- an FSA communications plan is implemented to explain the risks and controls to the public infection rates continue to be kept under close review and any changes brought to the attention of the Board.
The approach agreed by the Board will improve consumer protection by making it clear to businesses the circumstances under which service of rare burgers is acceptable and the stringent controls that must apply, and supporting local authority enforcement where controls are not in place or are not applied consistently.
The controls are vague, not stringent.
In light of the Board’s decision, the FSA will continue developing guidance for local authorities, businesses and consumers.
More salaries sitting around a table. I’d rather pay hedgehogs.
UK parents on red alert as medics treat schoolgirl with E. coli
The girl at Ayr Grammar has been whisked to Glasgow for treatment following the discovery of the bug.
Health chiefs insist there is “no evidence” to suggest the infection originated within the school.
And they say letters have been sent to all parents “as a precaution”.
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011