News
for the month of September, 2014

Pub bans confetti

1st of September 2014

Issue

A sign at a pub says: "Customers please note: due to confetti being a health and safety issue, unfortunately we are requesting that you do not use any. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Panel decision

This is not and never was a health and safety issue. It is encouraging to note that after contact from HSE the pub manager has agreed to take the sign down. If the pub wants to ban confetti because of the clean up problems it creates that is their decision but they can’t hide behind the veil of health and safety!

 

Source

Nosestretcher alert: steaming hot taxpayer-funded UK food safety nonsense

1st of September 2014


You don’t even need a temperature probe, just keep dad handy. Meat should be steaming in the middle, with no pink on the inside. Any juices should run clear.”

Nonsense.

And taxpayers pay for this.

I also wouldn't use tongs on raw meat and then stick them in my apron.

Use a thermometer and stick it in.

 

Steve Naldrett, director of Ardan Training Consultancy LTD says "Colour alone is not a very reliable indicator of whether meat is cooked or not, i would always recommend using a thermometer to check core temperatures of meat.

Food thermometers can be picked up very cheaply at most supermarkets and other stores."

Steve went on to say, "not only does a thermometer ensure the food is cooked, it also ensures that you do not overcook the food 'just in case' as you only need to ensure the temperature is 75 degrees centigrade at the thickest part of the meat to ensure it is safe to eat"

Feel free to contact Steve on 07967104042 if you require any more information on this topic

Donít touch that knob

14th of September 2014


A virus can spread around a whole building within two hours of coming into contact with just one surface, a new study has found, presented at the 54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) in Washington.

A team at the University of Arizona, Tucson found that when a virus, for example the Norovirus, contaminates a single doorknob or elevator button it spreads rapidly through entire office buildings, hotels or hospitals.

The team, led by microbiologist Charles Gerba, used bacteriophage MS-2 as a surrogate for the human Norovirus because it is similar in shape, size and resistance to disinfectants.

They placed it on a single commonly touched surface, such as a door knob or table, at the beginning of a day in office buildings, conference room and in a health care facility in Arizona.

They then tested surfaces capable of carrying infectious organisms, such as light switches, bed rails, table tops, countertops, coffee pots handles, sink tap handles, door knobs, phones and computer equipment for traces of the bacteriophage at various times between two and eight hours later.

The team found that up to 60 per cent of the surfaces sampled were contaminated with the virus within just two to four hours.

However, there is a simple solution for combating the spread, says Mr Gerba, who found using disinfecting wipes registered as effective against viruses like norovirus and flu, along with hand hygiene, reduced the spread by between 80 and 99 per cent."

Mr Gerba concluded: “The results show that viral contamination of (surfaces) in facilities occurs quickly, and that a simple intervention can greatly help to reduce exposure to viruses.”

 

Steve Naldrett, director of Ardan training says "It is frightening how quickly virus' can spread, it really emphasises the need to have good hygiene"

 

source

Workersí health put at risk by Hampshire firm

14th of September 2014

A Hampshire manufacturer has appeared in court after allowing the health of employees to be put at risk.

Brooks Crownhill Patternmakers Ltd, a precision engineering company based in Andover, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court (28 Aug) for five health and safety breaches.

The offences came to light after an inspection by HSE revealed that risks to health from exposure to vibration, noise and dust had not been adequately managed or controlled.

HSE found that Brooks Crownhill Patternmakers, which produces metal castings for a range of industries, had no effective management systems to control exposure to the health risks to their employees. As a result, workers experienced a range of symptoms which required further investigation and monitoring.

Brooks Crownhill Patternmakers Ltd of North Way, Walworth Industrial Estate, Andover, was fined a total of £7,000 and ordered to pay £1,379 in costs after admitting single breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974; the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999; the Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005; and two breaches of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Michael Baxter said:

“The company failed to fully control the numerous risks arising from its business activities. This has meant several employees developing symptoms relating to exposure to vibration, noise and dust, which could have been picked up sooner as part of a health surveillance programme. “Brooks Crownhill Patternmakers did not respond to changing workloads and processes, and failed to act on advice provided by its occupational health provider or by contractors servicing equipment.

“The company has since reviewed and made significant changes to its risk management and occupational health monitoring.”

 

source