for the month of February, 2014

At least 7 sick with E. coli O157 linked to burgers from Scotlandís Hydro stadium

3rd of February 2014

A health alert has been sparked after thousands of people were potentially exposed to E. coli O157 via burgers sold at Glasgow's SSE Hydro.

Seven cases of E.coli O157 are being investigated by the Public Health Protection Unit of NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC), all of which were thought to be contracted at the arena.

The cases could being linked to burgers sold at food outlets inside the £125million arena, although other food items are also being considered.

The period of time under investigation - January 17 to 25 - saw the Hydro holding a series of five events by Top Gear, on Friday 17 to Sunday'.

Also on at the venue in that period was a gig by Del Amitri, on Friday, January 24, and an event as part of the Celtic Connections Festival on Saturday, January 25.

The venue holds up to 12,000, meaning up to 84000 people attended the Hydro in that period.

NHSGGC is liaising with Health Protection Scotland, the Food Standards Agency and Glasgow City Council in its investigation.


Steve Naldrett says "this shows how easy it is for people to be careless and forget about food hygiene and how important it is and how fatal it can be"

UK pub owner fined £12,500 over food hygiene failings

3rd of February 2014

The owner of a Saundersfoot pub has been fined a total of £12,500 by Haverfordwest Magistrates this week after admitting to five food hygiene offences.

Ian Griffiths of The Royal Oak Inn, Wogan Terrace, was also ordered to pay £2778.37 costs to Pembrokeshire County Council at the hearing on Monday.

The Council brought the case following breaches found at the pub during a routine inspection in October, 2012, by officers from the Authority’s Public Protection Division.

As well as revealing the lack of an adequate food safety management system, officers found evidence of food not being protected against contamination; unclean structures and equipment; a lack of training of staff and various out-of-date foods and inadequately labelled foodstuffs such that effective stock rotation could not be safely carried out.

The business agreed to voluntarily close until immediate cleaning and disinfection and stock checks had been carried out.


Steve Naldrett says "This shows how important food hygiene is, simple things could make a whole lot of difference and put you out of business"

Worker injured after falling from forklift prongs

3rd of February 2014

The worker had been helping to load cheese onto a wagon so it could be delivered to a customer. He was being lifted up to the wagon, with one foot on each prong on the forklift, when the forks hit the back of the vehicle and jolted. He fell around a metre to the ground below, suffering cuts to his left leg and multiple fractures to his ankle.

A HSE investigation found it had become common practice for people to be lifted on forklift prongs. Despite this being illegal, the company had failed to identify it as an issue.

The Court was told that no risk assessment had been carried out for the work and no other method for accessing the wagons was available. Following the incident, the company provided steps to reach the back of the vehicles, and it has since changed the way it prepares deliveries altogether.


"A HSE investigation found it had become common practice for people to be lifted on forklift prongs. Despite this being illegal, the company had failed to identify it as an issue.”


Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Jane Carroll said: "The injuries suffered by the worker could easily have been life-threatening had he struck his head when he fell.

"His employer regularly allowed workers to stand on the forks on forklift trucks, despite this being illegal and posing a clear risk. Joseph Heler failed to give its employees any guidance on how they should access and load the wagon, and failed to put systems in place to make sure the risk of injury was minimised.

"The changes the company has made following the incident show it would have been possible for the work to be carried out safely.”

The incident occured at Joseph Heler Ltd’s plant on Crewe Road in Hatherton, near Nantwich, on 4 July 2012.

Joseph Heler Ltd was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £709.15  in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc 1974.



Steve Naldrett says "this indicates how much important is to use forklifts correctly and potentially how fatal it could be if you don't"

Lack of lifting chains blamed for mangled hand

3rd of February 2014

A worker’s left hand was badly mangled in the hook on a crane because lifting chains were unavailable – despite being manufactured in the same factory, a court has heard.

David Taylor, 54, from Swinton, lost parts of all his fingers in the incident at Renold Power Transmission on the Bredbury Park Industrial Estate in Stockport on 14 September 2011.


The company, which manufactures chains for conveyor belts, escalators and forklift trucks, was fined £80,000 after a HSE investigation found it did not have a safe system for moving heavy tooling equipment.


Manchester Crown Court was told that Mr Taylor had been operating an overhead crane in the tool preparation area to lift equipment weighing nearly 300kg, using straps that had already been placed around it.

As he moved the crane with a poorly-labelled handheld control, the equipment slipped out of the straps and started to fall towards him. He raised his left hand to protect himself but it became caught in one of the straps and was pulled into the crane’s hook.


Mr Taylor lost half his thumb, the tip of his index finger, two thirds of his middle and ring fingers, and all of the little finger on his left hand.


The HSE investigation established that the company had failed to produce a written risk assessment for the work, and there was not a safe system of work in place. Mr Taylor had also never received any formal training to use the crane, despite working for the firm for nearly three months.


Renold has since changed its working practices to use eye bolts and chains to lift heavy equipment. The court heard that no chains were available on the day of the incident – despite the fact that they are manufactured by the company.


"It’s been tough dealing with what happened to me. My injuries prevented me from doing simple things like getting dressed or driving. I had to go to the hospital four or five times a week after the incident, and eventually was diagnosed with post-traumatic-stress disorder as well. I just hope manufacturers improve their health and safety systems so that what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else. They need to listen to their employees’ concerns and make sure they provide the correct equipment for the job.”

Speaking after the hearing, David Taylor said: "It’s been tough dealing with what happened to me. My injuries prevented me from doing simple things like getting dressed or driving. I had to go to the hospital four or five times a week after the incident, and eventually was diagnosed with post-traumatic-stress disorder as well.


"I couldn’t work so money was a struggle for us and we had to get used to a low standard of living for a while, until my compensation came through. I don’t know what I’d have done if I hadn’t had a strong family around me – they really helped pull me through.

"I’ve now had my big toe amputated and attached to my hand in place of my thumb, which has really helped and means I can pick things up again.


"I just hope manufacturers improve their health and safety systems so that what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else. They need to listen to their employees’ concerns and make sure they provide the correct equipment for the job.”


Renold Power Transmission, of Styal Road in Wythenshawe, was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,696 after pleading guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

The Handling & Storage Solutions Safer Logistics Campaign


Handling & Storage Solutions has launched the Safer Logistics campaign to promote health and safety awareness in logistics in 2014.


We were inspired to launch the campaign by the Health and Safety Executive encouraging all stakeholders to show leadership and ‘be part of the solution’.


It is vital to push home the message that poor health & safety practices have no place in the modern logistics world.


What you can do

Clear safety first principles are worth repeating.

- If you doubt the safety of a working practice, stop. Talk to your supervisor or manager and agree a safe way of proceeding. Don’t carry on and hope for the best.

- No matter who you are in the management structure or workforce, take responsibility for your safety, don’t assume someone else has taken care of it.

The investigating inspector at HSE, Ian Betley, added: "One of Renold’s employees has suffered severe injuries to his left hand that will affect him for the rest of his life due to the company’s poor safety system for using the crane.

"It’s shocking that the chains produced by the company weren’t even available on the day of the incident for use by its own employees. Instead, David had to use an unchoked sling to lift a heavy tool, which led to him being badly injured.


"If the tool had been properly secured before being lifted then his injuries could have been avoided.”




Steve Naldrett says "this shows that correct equipment is required and it could be very dangerous if it isn't provided"

Cocaine found in bottle of Caribbean soft drink

7th of February 2014

The Food Standards Agency is warning the public about a soft drink that has been found to contain high levels of cocaine. The product has been linked to the death of one person in Southampton and is the subject of an ongoing investigation by Hampshire Constabulary.

The product is labelled as ‘Cole Cold Pear-D’ and the packaging bears the manufacturers name as S.M. Jaleel & Co Ltd, Otaheite, Trinidad. However, the company has said they do not export Pear-D to the UK.

Investigations are ongoing to find out whether more bottles of the product have been distributed in the UK. Members of the public should not consume this product and, if found, should take it to their local police station.

Document firm fined for step ladder failings

14th of February 2014

The UK division of global documents security company Iron Mountain has been fined for safety failings after an employee fractured his arm in a fall from a dangerous step ladder.

The 48-year-old, from Barking, who does not want to be named, damaged the radius bone in his left elbow in the incident at the company’s site at Cody Road in Newham on 12 June 2012.

Iron Mountain (UK) Ltd was prosecuted yesterday (5 February) by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation identified that the ladder he was using wasn’t fit for purpose.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard the step ladder collapsed as the worker tried to reach the upper level of a racking system, sending him crashing at least a metre to the floor below. He was unable to return to work for several weeks.

HSE established that the ladder was in a poor condition and was critically weakened by a crack that eventually caused it to fail.

The court was told it was one of two step ladders available to staff that had  cracks.

Iron Mountain (UK) Ltd, of Tooley Street, London, SE1, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £8,940 in costs after pleading guilty to a single breach of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Monica Babb commented:

“Ladders are often seen as an everyday item that can be taken for granted. They are not routinely checked, which is vital when it comes to identifying potential defects.

“Yet when they fail the consequences can be very serious. On this occasion a worker sustained a painful elbow injury, but it could have been much worse had he fallen from a greater height or landed in a different position.

“Iron Mountain (UK) Ltd should have implemented a more robust system for inspecting step ladders and providing replacements when defects were identified. Checking ladders is an essential aspect of safely managing work at height, and I hope today’s prosecution sends a clear message to others.”

Further information on working safely at height can be found at

Storage & stacking failings lead to waste bale death

14th of February 2014

Kenneth Swaby, 43, from Canvey Island, Essex, was struck by the falling bale as he walked past a stack of them, some five metres high, at R&S Recycling Ltd in Beoley on 11 February 2011.


Three of the bales toppled over and one landed directly on top of him, killing him instantly.


An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that R&S Recycling failed to properly control the risks to employees working at the site, particularly with regard to the proper storage and safe stacking of waste materials.


Worcester Crown Court heard that stacks of unstable material, such as baled paper and plastic, should slope backwards towards the top, and the bales should be interlocked to prevent them from falling. The stability of the stack should be checked regularly, and where bales can fall, workers on the ground should be kept well clear.


On this occasion, HSE found that the stacks of bales were uneven and too high, with no measures in place to prevent employees approaching them on foot.


R&S Recycling Ltd, of Bransons Cross Farm, Beoley, Redditch was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay costs of £57,927 after pleading guilty to a single breach of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.


Speaking after sentencing, HSE Inspector Jan Willets said: "Mr Swaby’s tragic death could have been prevented had R&S Recycling Limited made simple and adequate provisions to protect employees working with and alongside stacks of baled waste.


"The risks from materials falling from storage at height are clear, and there are necessary procedures for the safe management of bales in stacks. Yet on this occasion, Mr Swaby was able to walk right next to these unstable bales, with devastating consequences.”



Firm fined after decorator is seriously injured in stairwell fall

14th of February 2014

An Essex construction company has been fined after a self-employed decorator was severely injured in a stairwell fall at a building site in Cambridgeshire.

David Scanlon, a decorator from Dunstable, fractured several ribs, his left arm and thumb; snapped the tendons on an index finger; cut and bruised his head; cracked two vertebrae; and suffered several collapsed discs as a result of the incident at Challis Green, Barrington on 17 January 2012.

He was hospitalised for five days and has yet to return to work.

Waltham Abbey-based Hill Partnerships Ltd was prosecuted today (6 February) by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found temporary guard-rails at the site did not meet statutory requirements.

Cambridge Magistrates’ Court heard that Mr Scanlon had been employed by a contractor of Hill Partnerships since October 2011 to undertake external and internal decorating at the residential building site. He was working on the first floor of a block of flats when he fell.

He had stopped on a landing area to talk to colleagues who were going down to the ground floor and leant against a wooden guard-rail around the stairwell. It was unable to support him and collapsed, sending him crashing headfirst onto the stairs below.

HSE established that the guard-rail was poorly designed and constructed, and simply wasn’t fit for purpose. The court was told that had it been more robust the incident could have been prevented.

Hill Partnerships Ltd, of Powdermill Lane, Waltham Abbey, Essex, was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £4,501 costs after pleading guilty to a single breach of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

Speaking after the hearing HSE Inspector Gavin Bull, said:

“Hill Partnerships failed to ensure the guard-rails they provided to prevent falls inside the buildings were suitable when work was being undertaken. There are well established design standards for temporary guard-rails that could have been adopted and put in place.

“Construction work is a high-risk activity and falls account for a large proportion of all deaths and serious injuries. The end result here is that Mr Scanlon sustained serious injuries that could have been avoided.”

More information about working safely at height can be found on the HSE website at:

Engineering firm fined after worker loses legs in explosion

22nd of February 2014

A Worcestershire engineering firm has been fined after a worker lost both his legs in a factory blast. 51-year-old Clive Dainty, from Kidderminster, was working at Filtration Service Engineering Ltd on 8 December 2011 when a 335-litre vessel exploded as it was being pressure tested.


The extent of the explosion tore the two parts of the vessel apart, with one part hitting Mr Dainty and forcing him into a cabinet against a wall. He was hospitalised for several months and had to have both legs amputated. He also suffered head injuries and has severely restricted movement in his arms, which have been repaired with metal plates.

The force of the blast also threw a fire extinguisher through a nearby wooden staircase. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Filtration Service Engineering was testing the vessel as there were concerns about the quality of the welding. However, instead of simply filling it with water, the firm decided to use compressed air.

Worcester Crown Court heard on the 20th February that the factory’s compressed air supply was directly connected to one of the vessel’s openings. A valve, which could be manually opened and closed, and a pressure gauge were installed, and the vessel filled with compressed air. The pressure built up to such an extent that eventually the vessel exploded.

Filtration Service Engineering Ltd, of the Oldington Trading Estate, Kidderminster, was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay £15,325 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

After the hearing HSE inspector Ed Fryer said: "The injuries sustained in this incident were more akin to those sustained on a battlefield. The vessel exploded like a bomb during the course of a normal working day, and everyone in the factory was at risk from the operation because no measures were put in place to protect them. "Pneumatic testing is a dangerous activity and significant planning is required to ensure the risks are managed. The management of health and safety in this factory was woefully inadequate and simple measures could have been implemented to prevent the incident from happening. "An assessment of the risks involved in pneumatic pressure testing should have identified that air was not a suitable testing medium. The test could have been carried out by simply filling the vessel with water. "It is a miracle that more people were not injured and that nobody lost their life.”


Plastics recycler fined after workerís arm injury

22nd of February 2014

Worksop Magistrates’ Court was told on the 14th February that MBA Polymers UK Ltd failed to take effective measures to prevent access to dangerous moving parts of the equipment at its premises on Sandy Lane, Worksop, on 2 May 2012.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that the injured worker, a 23-year-old man from Costhorpe, Nottinghamshire, was working alone on a night shift in an area at the top of the factory when the incident happened. He was checking on an auger, a spiral which pushes materials through a metal tube, when his sleeve got caught on a bolt protruding from the electric motor driving the auger spiral. This twisted his sleeve so severely it acted like a tourniquet and broke his arm. At the same time, the twisted clothing broke the motor driveshaft and the worker was able to cut himself free and call for help.

The effects of the injuries were so serious he has not yet returned to work.

Magistrates heard a lack of suitable guarding was the main cause of the incident. HSE found the guards over the access holes to the drilling tool had been removed and not replaced, leaving the rotating parts unguarded.

MBA Polymers UK Ltd of Sandy Lane, Worksop, Nottinghamshire, was fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £3,851 in costs after pleading guilty to single breaches of Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Section 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector David Butter said: "This man suffered very serious injuries to his arm but had he not been fortunate enough to be able to free himself, it could easily have resulted in amputation. "Incidents involving entanglement on rotating machinery can be easily avoided if suitable guarding is maintained. "The guarding defects had been raised by employees and MBA Polymers was aware of the situation, so there is no excuse for failing to take action.” The latest HSE statistics show that in 2012/13 more than 17,000 people were injured while working in the manufacturing sector. For advice and information go to



Interpol food raids result in 96 arrests

24th of February 2014

Police and customs across 33 countries have seized 1,200 tonnes of fake and substandard food in coordinated raids to target organized criminal networks involved in food fraud.

Coordinated by Interpol and Europol, police and customs across Europe, Asia and the Americas have been working with national food regulatory bodies and the private sector, carrying out raids on shops, markets, airports, seaports and private homes. Ninety-six people have been so far arrested or detained during Operation Opson III with investigations still on going in many countries.

Raids carried out over the past two months have led to the seizure of nearly 150,000 fake stock cubes in the Philippines, the closure of an illegal abattoir on the outskirts of Paris and the discovery of a fake whisky operation in Thailand. In the UK a 40ft lorry load of fake vodka was seized containing over 17,000 litres of counterfeit vodka. In another raid 22 tonnes of rice labeled as Basmati was seized.    

Counterfeit and unfit fish was the largest single commodity seized with over 680 tonnes of fish and seafood taken out of the market due to poor preservation and incorrect labeling. In one raid alone nearly 500 tonnes of yellow fin tuna without traceability documentation was seized.

Opson III also recovered more than 131,000 litres of suspect oil and vinegar, 80,000 biscuits and chocolate bars, 20 tonnes of spices and condiments, 186 tonnes of cereals, 45 tonnes of dairy products and 42 litres of honey.

‘Most people would be surprised at the everyday foods and drink which are being counterfeited, and the volume of seizures shows that this is a serious global problem,’ said Michael Ellis, head of Interpol’s trafficking in illicit goods and counterfeiting unit.

‘Interpol is committed to turning back this threat to public health and safety by organised criminal networks which are making millions in profits which can then be channeled into other illicit activity such as human and drug trafficking.’

Opson III is the third international food fraud operation to be carried out since 2011. The original Opson operation aimed to stamp out the production and sale of European ‘protected food name products’. These are traditional foods such as cheddar and champagne that can only legally carry the label if they come from a specific region.

Following the horsemeat scandal Opson operations were broadened out to cover fraud and unfit food in more than 30 countries worldwide. The raids are designed to target organised crime networks behind the illicit trade in counterfeit and unregulated food and drink.

In the UK the Intellectual Property Office is the designated lead, working in conjunction with the Food Standards Agency.

During Opson II, carried out in 2012, Czech police discovered vodka poisoned with methanol that has been linked to 50 deaths. An on-going investigation has led to a number of arrests and the discovery of large quantities of methanol being stored ready for bottling.

An international debrief held in the UK in September 2013 agreed that future Opson operations would target links in the food chain vulnerable to criminal fraud. These include the transportation and warehousing of food along with the better monitoring of websites used to advertise illicit products.

In a separate development the EU Standing Committee on the Food Chain has called for a series of new DNA tests to be carried out across EU member states to see if horsemeat is still being added to beef products. The Commission plans to collect and publish the results of the EU-wide testing by the end of this July.  


Nottinghamshire cold storage company in court after injuries to several workers

24th of February 2014

A Nottinghamshire cold storage rental company has been fined for two separate health and safety failings after a worker was trapped underneath a falling section of cold store and others developed hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS).

An agency worker was struck by a section of portable cold store which toppled whilst being dismantled by Dawsonrentals Portable Cold Storage Ltd of Huthwaite on 26 October 2010.

Kevin Rodgers, 37, from Mansfield, was trapped under an L-shaped section of a cold store which was surplus to requirements, whilst cutting up smaller sections of the cold store walls, which had already been removed.

Nottingham Crown Court heard Mr Rodgers suffered four broken metatarsals in his right foot, and was off work for a number of months.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident found the dismantling process had not been properly risk assessed by the company. There was inadequate training for workers carrying out this task, and insufficient supervision of their work.

A separate investigation into the company was conducted after several employees were reported to be suffering from various stages of Hand-arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS) after working for Dawsonrentals Portable Cold Storage Ltd.

HAVS can develop from the over-use of hand-held power tools and is the cause of significant ill health. This can include painful and disabling disorders of the blood vessels, nerves and joints.

One case was shown to be so severe that the worker was unable to do his job any longer.

HSE’s investigation identified that workers were using power tools for significant periods of time. The company failed to adequately assess the risk to employees’ health from the use of vibrating tools over a number of years. Although the issue of hand-arm vibration had been raised since 2005, it was not until the ill health was identified in November 2011 that they introduced adequate controls, including monitoring and restricting the use of specific tools.

Dawson Rental Portable Cold Storage LTD of Export Drive, Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire, pleaded guilty to breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc act 1974 and was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 costs.

After the hearing HSE Inspector Stuart Pilkington said:

“The accident is a case of non-routine work not being properly planned and risk assessed.

“Mr Rodgers was lucky not to suffer far more serious injuries and the incident shows the importance of training temporary workers and ensuring they are properly supervised.

“Hand-arm Vibration can have significant health impacts if workers’ use of power tools is not controlled correctly and the company have failed to protect their workers from a debilitating condition which they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.”

Paul Straw said:

“I’d worked at Dawson Rental Portable Cold Storage for around 18 years – it’s all I knew.

“I was told by letter that I had Hand-arm Vibration Syndrome – something I didn’t understand at the time. It didn’t sink in at first that it could stop me from doing the job I love.

“Being out of work and having to claim benefits has been very difficult. I used to play snooker and go fishing with my sons but I can no longer do that as I have lost confidence because of my condition.

“Hand-arm Vibration Syndrome has made it very difficult for me to find employment and I really miss working. The thought of re-training for a new job at my time of life is very hard.”


Cockroach infestation closes Wetherspoon kitchen

24th of February 2014

A JD Wetherspoon pub in London has been ordered to stop making and serving food after EHOs found a cockroach infestation in the kitchen.

EHOs issued a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order on Baxters Court JD Wetherspoon, 282 Mare St, London EH in Hackney after they found a cockroach monitor behind the fridge full of German cockroaches in different stages of development from egg, nymph to adult.

Live cockroaches were also found in other parts of the kitchen during the day next to uncovered containers, cutlery and in the main preparation and cooking area of the kitchen posing an imminent risk to health.

Investigating EHOs from Hackney Council found no evidence in the kitchen log that staff were taking any measure to protect food and equipment from contamination from the kitchen infestation.

Other hygiene risks were posed by poor cleaning of the plate warmer and the plates inside it, failure to clean the back of the fridges and a build up of dust on the walk in fridge and filters.

The premises has been allowed to continue selling alcohol but is being monitored to ensure it does not start selling food until EHOs are satisfied there is no longer an imminent risk to health.

JD Wetherspoon was also ordered to pay council costs of £865.


Illegal meat trader escapes jail

24th of February 2014

An illegal meat trader who prepared meat in a filthy rodent infested garage has been given a six month suspended sentence and ordered to pay nearly £21,000.

Richard Mark Ferguson prepared sausages, burgers, lamb, pork and venison in the garage and delivered them to private homes in Carlisle.

Acting on a tip off, EHOs visited Mr Ferguson’s home in Moorhouse Road, Belle Vue, Carlisle. They found a sausage-making machine, a mincing machine, knives and packing materials, as well as seasoning products and prepared raw meats and meat products in the garage.

There was a mouldy lamb joint hanging from a hook, unfit mouldy pork joints in a fridge and evidence of rodent activity.

Unfit lamb in garage

The garage lacked sinks or hot water for washing food, equipment, utensils or for hand washing.

There was also no record to show where the meat had come from.

Further investigations revealed that in December 2012 Mr Ferguson had sold 179 chickens, pheasants, turkeys and ducks at various auction houses, together worth £1,300.

Mr Ferguson was fined £9,000 and ordered to pay £11,626 costs at Carlisle Crown Court. He had earlier pleaded guilty to nine separate offences under the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006.

Judge Hughes said: ‘It is important to maintain the highest standards for the protection of the general public. You have put the health and safety of people at risk.’

Elsie Martlew, Carlisle’s cabinet member for environment and transport, said: ‘This type of prosecution is important as it protects public health and also ensures a level playing field so that legitimate food businesses in Carlisle are not disadvantaged. We’re delighted with the outcome of the case and we hope it acts as a deterrent to anyone considering operating outside the law.’

rat droppings small              

Poor hygiene


£11,000 fine for UK Chinese restaurant owner

24th of February 2014

Kams Palace Ltd admitted five offences under the Food Hygiene Regulations and two offences under Health and Safety legislation.

The prosecution at Fareham Magistrates’ Court follows a routine food hygiene inspection in February last year.

Officers from Fareham Borough Council visited Kams Palace in Bridge Road and found poor standards of cleanliness in the kitchen and storage areas.

The council says many food safety hazards were found including poor stock control, food stored in dirty containers, dirty equipment and evidence of mice.

No evidence of food hygiene training for the employees was available.

Kams Palace Ltd was fined £11,000 and ordered to pay full costs to the council.

Following the inspection the company has re-trained staff in food hygiene and the hygiene procedures and cleanliness have improved.