News
for the month of June, 2018

Food hygiene on the menu with 400 Darlington premises inspected

7th of June 2018

FOOD hygiene is on the menu for two authorities working behind the scenes to ensure produce bought and eaten in the region is safe.

As part of national Food Safety Week this week, Darlington Borough Council and the Food Standards Agency have revealed the environmental health team visited 400 food businesses across the town between 2017 and 2018.

Officers inspecting each premises challenge the cleanliness and structural safety of every building, management of the business itself and if staff are fully trained and monitored when handling food.

Inspectors also factor in the overall running of each eatery before awarding a food hygiene rating – more than 95 per cent of the sites inspected in Darlington received a rating of three out of five, or “generally satisfactory”.

The council’s team of three environmental health inspectors visit any business that supplies or serves food direct to consumers, from restaurants, pubs and takeaways to schools, supermarkets and hospitals.

They also visit food producers, such as factories and dairies.

The town has 1,000 food premises in the borough, with the frequency of an inspection dictated by the potential risk to consumers.

Environmental health officer, Brian Whelan, said: “Just because a particular premises is inspected more regularly doesn’t mean it’s performing badly – the opposite is usually true.

“A major manufacturer that makes thousands of meals is likely to be hygienic but would receive more visits due to its risk factor.

“Any venue that has received a poor rating will also be inspected more regularly to make sure it brings itself up to standard.”

Low-risk establishments such as bars and pubs that serve only drinks and snacks are visited every three years, while places that are potentially more high risk, such as hospitals and food production premises, are visited every six months.

A standard food hygiene inspection takes roughly an hour, depending on the size of the venue.

Councillor Chris McEwan, Darlington Borough Council cabinet member for economy and regeneration, said: “We have a dedicated team working hard to ensure people in Darlington can eat out and enjoy their meals with peace of mind.

“A lot of the work that the team does is behind the scenes, but they are vital to ensuring people are kept safe and can make informed decision about where to eat.”

This year, the annual Food Safety Week will run until June 16.

Jason Feeney, chief executive officer of the Food Standards Agency, said: "It’s the responsibility of every food business – from abattoirs to corner shops, Michelin-starred restaurants to your favourite take-away – to comply with food regulations.

"This week we want to recognise the behind-the-scenes people throughout the food chain who work hard every day of the year to make sure businesses follow the rules and our food standards remain high."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/16268455.Food_hygiene_on_the_menu_with_400_premises_inspected/

Two companies fined for serious breaches involving the removal of asbestos

13th of June 2018

A residential property management company and a specialist installation contractor have been fined after a resident raised concerns about soffit replacement work carried out on the guttering on three blocks of flats in London.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that in July 2016, Squaredeal UPVC & Renewables Limited of Rustington, West Sussex (‘Squaredeal) had been contracted by Wildheart Residential Management Limited of Ewell, Epsom, Surrey (‘Wildheart’) to replace the soffits on the blocks in a housing estate at Sutton Grove, Sutton, London.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Wildheart instructed Squaredeal to carry out the work, but failed to check whether the soffits contained asbestos. Squaredeal had the soffits analysed and became aware they contained asbestos but started to remove the soffits without adequate precautions to ensure workers and residents were protected.

Squaredeal UPVC & Renewables Limited was fined a total of £18,500, and ordered to pay £5,607.90 in costs after pleading guilty to offences under Regulations 5, 8(1) and 11(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.

Wildheart Residential Management Limited was fined £8,000, and ordered to pay £3000 in costs after pleading guilty to an offence under Regulation 4(3) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.

HSE inspector Fu Lee commented after the hearing:

“The work risked not only the workers, but also the residents of the flats being exposed to disturbed asbestos. Exposure to asbestos can lead to a number of diseases, including asbestosis or fibrosis (scarring) of the lungs; lung cancer and mesothelioma. These diseases are irreversible, disabling and in most cases eventually fatal.

“The latest statistics show that asbestos related disease cause approximately 5000 deaths a year. All asbestos-related diseases typically take many years to develop after exposure.

“This incident could have been avoided if the companies had taken appropriate action to identify the type of asbestos and engage an appropriately qualified contractor to carry out the work safely.”