Level 3 Award in Health and Safety
Duration: 3 day including multiple-choice exam
The Level 3 Award in Supervising Health and Safety in the Workplace is a Qualification aimed at Supervisors and Managers. The qualification is intended for candidates already working in the capacity of supervisor or manager and those who are preparing to start work at this level.
This qualification provides a thorough understanding of health and safety emphasising the importance of monitoring staff and controls. It also details the need for a structured management approach to health and safety and the key factors in implementing health and safety policy.
Accidents and illness can result in disability, death or incapacity for work. The supervisor is in an ideal position to influence, monitor and train employees. They can also ensure that managers are informed, persuaded, encouraged or pressured into providing for better health and safety standards.
Persons gaining this qualification will know that supervisors and managers have legal and moral obligations to ensure health and safety within a business, and that this includes obligations to employees, contractors, visitors and suppliers. Its syllabus areas are regarded by the Health and Safety Executive as being important to developing safe working procedures in the workplace
The candidates are assessed by an examination paper consisting of 60 multiple choice questions to be completed in two hours under examination conditions
Suggested progression is the Level 4 Award in Health and Safety in the workplace.
The holder of the Level 3 Award in Health and Safety will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main concepts of health and safety
- Show awareness of the benefits of health and safety culture
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of individuals, supervisors and management in health and safety
- Demonstrate an understanding of health and safety control and improvement strategies available to supervisors
The course covers
- The terminology used in respect of health and safety
- The benefits of ensuring high standards of health and safety in the workplace
- The principles of risk assessment and its role in a health and safety management system
- Key aspects of the UK legal system for health and safety and enforcement practices
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- The role of personal protective equipment in reducing risk
- The requirements for welfare provision in the workplace
- How to promote a positive health and safety culture
- The importance of consultation and good communication on health and safety
- The need to keep records relating to health and safety matters
- The means of monitoring the effectiveness of control measures
- The role of training in motivating safe behaviour and adherence to health and safety procedures
- The supervisor’s role in ensuring compliance with legal and organisational requirements with respect to health and safety.
Where we deliver courses
Please discuss your requirements with Steve on 07967 104042 or complete the form on the Contact Us page. We will ensure we offer you the flexibility that you require.
“The course was enjoyable and the tutor made the course interesting. We all had a good laugh but completed the course.”
Delegate - Working Links
“I contacted Steve Naldrett from Ardan training after some initial internet research to source a suitable trainer and company to deliver courses in Food Hygiene. I found Steve to be a great professional and exactly the type of trainer I was searching for. All courses ran efficiently and smoothly with flexibility when required. Evaluation results were also extremely positive with all enjoying and benefiting from the training, as well as receiving a recognised qualification.”
Goodwin Development Trust
“I have worked with ARDAN for over 2 years. They are excellent at identifying peoples development needs and translating them into robust training solutions. ARDAN work as true business partners always delivering on time and within budget.”
Telecomms Sales & Marketing Director